Tuesday 16 September 2014

Camus on terrorism

In 1957, addressing a rowdy gathering of Algerian students demonstrating against colonisation and demanding democracy, the writer Albert Camus somethings that are still relevant from Kiev to Kashmir. He said:
"You are in favor of democracy in Algeria, so please be democratic now and let me speak. Let me finish my sentences because the meaning of a sentence is not clear till it ends.
"I have often condemned terrorism. I must also condemn the blind terrorism that can be seen in the streets of Algiers for example, that which might strike my mother or family. I believe in justice but I will defend my mother before justice.
"Life may be shaped by ideology but it is lived exclusively by men and women."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home